From our most recent introduction of the groundbreaking cloud solution CCH Axcess™, back to the 1913 introduction of the first tax law loose-leaf reporting service, Wolters Kluwer has earned a reputation as a leading innovator in the tax and accounting market.
Take a look back at the significant milestones that make up our history — a history of firsts.
- CCH's predecessor, Corporation Trust Co. (CT) introduces industry’s first loose-leaf tax reporter system with Income Tax Reporter in response to the Tariff Act of 1913, which established the federal income tax under the Sixteenth Amendment.
- CT merges with competitor Commerce Clearing House (CCH).
- Commerce Clearing House establishes its first company-owned printing operation.
- Roosevelt's New Deal program ushers in demand for new CCH services on securities, labor, Social Security, FDA, liquor control and bankruptcy.
- CCH is ruled "essential" by the War Manpower Commission as it assists the federal government with special publishing projects in support of the War effort.
- CCH expands North American operations with establishment of CCH Canadian, Ltd.
- CCH makes its first public stock offering.
- CCH offers its first European products.
- CCH responds to national Civil Rights Act with Employment Services Reporter.
- CCH expands technology focus with a major interest in Computax Corporation, a tax preparation service company.
- CCH expands global coverage with acquisition of Facts on File, a weekly summary of general and world political news.
- With the passage of the Social Security Amendments, CCH goes on to publish 3.8 million books to explain Medicare and Medicaid.
- CCH expands international operations with organization of CCH Australia.
- CCH corporate headquarters are relocated from the city of Chicago to a 48-acre campus in suburban Riverwoods, IL.
- CCH establishes operations in Asia.
- CCH launches its first online computer research service via dial-up, known as ACCESS.
- CCH is first publisher to introduce a Windows-based tax research platform; introduces its first CD-ROM-based tax research service.
- CCH strategically strengthens technology focus, marketing Computax tax compliance software, CCH® ProSystem fx® Suite, and transitioning out of service bureau-based returns processing.
- CCH begins a reengineering program to redesign its business processes and focus on becoming the leading global provider of knowledge products.
- CCH purchases the tax research line from Matthew Bender.
- Commerce Clearing House changes its name to CCH INCORPORATED.
- CCH is acquired by Wolters Kluwer N.V., a Dutch publishing firm with operations throughout Europe.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America introduces its first products for the internet.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America innovation continues with the development of a proprietary print-on-demand system, the only one of its kind in North America.
- With Wolters Kluwer backing, it's division of Tax & Accounting North America strengthens its leadership position in tax preparation, compliance and practice management solutions through several acquisitions, including Damirus Corporation, owner of Pencil Pushers tax preparation software (1998); A-Plus Tax Software; ePace! paperless audit engagement software and Execusite website development for CPA firms (2001); and several other compliance-related solutions.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America further establishes leadership in state sales and use tax information and compliance solutions with acquisitions of State Taxation Institute (1999); DPC Computer (2000); and esalestax.com (2002).
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America advances as premier provider of integrated workflow solutions with launch of ProSystem fx® Office, allowing accountants to move quickly and easily between tax preparation, trial balance, tax planning, time and billing, project tracking and reporting activities, and fixed asset management.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America introduces its first cloud solution, CCH Global fx®, which enables professionals to access CCH® ProSystem fx® Tax from virtually anywhere with an internet connection.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America offers industry’s first integrated tax content and workflow tool for customer relationship management, CCH® ClientRelate.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America expands integrated workflow software with introduction of CCH® ProSystem fx® Engagement, rebranded from ePaceENGAGEMENT.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America strengthens audit solutions with addition of CCH® Accounting Research Manager®, the industry’s premier research database.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting expands workflow suite with CCH® ProSystem fx® Document, offering CPAs a paperless document management solution.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America expands offerings to small firms, establishing Small Firm Services group through acquisitions of ATX™ and TaxWise®.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America advances leadership in paperless solutions with CCH® ProSystem fx® Scan, winning the CPA Technology Advisor’s Tax and Accounting Technology Innovation Award.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America expands corporate market presence with launch of CorpSystem® software and workflow solutions created specifically for corporate professionals.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America revolutionizes professional research with introduction of CCH® IntelliConnect®; by year end, it is serving more than 100,000 professionals.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America advances leadership in cloud solutions with introduction of a software-as-a-service (SaaS) based version of CCH® ProSystem fx® Suite, its industry-leading tax and accounting software.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America introduces CCH® KnowledgeConnect, providing CPAs access to the only knowledge management system designed from the ground up for accounting professionals.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America introduces CCH® ProSystem fx® Knowledge Coach, an innovative new tool for dramatically increasing the efficiency and accuracy of the audit process.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America introduces its first mobile solutions with the launch of CCH Mobile™ and CCH® eBooks, making valuable information available on smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America further extends its sales and use tax leadership by acquiring SpeedTax.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America expands presence in the corporate market with launch of CCH Integrator™, providing tax departments of multinational companies with a single integrated platform for tax reporting, compliance and planning.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America becomes the first industry provider to offer an open integration platform, allowing third-party apps to integrate with the CCH® ProSystem fx® Suite platform.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America expands mobile solutions with series of mobile apps, including the Electronic Filing Status app.
- The IRS turns to Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting US for the eighth consecutive year for sales tax rate and taxability tables, continuing the Company's long history of providing tax information and analysis to government agencies.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America global reach is extended in corporate market with the acquisition of BSI online global tax news and analysis.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America receives Illinois Governor’s Sustainability Award for transformation of its Chicago facility with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) approved renovations and other green improvements.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America celebrates its 100th anniversary, serving as a trusted advisor to five generations of tax and accounting professionals and with 2,000 employees in North America alone.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America further strengthens its lead in integrated cloud-based software solutions with introduction of CCH Axcess™, a modern, expandable CPA solution built from the ground up with a core database that unifies the accounting firm’s practice, saving tax professionals thousands of hours of time on routine tasks and enabling them to offer new services and value to clients.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America launches CCH® IRS Representation Certification Program, the industry's first fully on-demand solution to educate professionals on how to confidently represent IRS collections clients.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America makes CCH® IntelliConnect Direct available via both browser and desktop platforms. Customers can now easily switch between both options depending on their research needs and/or preference. CCH IntelliConnect Direct is the latest in Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting US dedication in creating innovative technology solutions for our customers.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America debuts new "Quick Answers" Content Library and previews innovative CCH IntelliConnect Direct. Quick Answers features more than 2,000 answers to questions most often researched in CCH® IntelliConnect®, one of the industry’s most powerful research platforms for tax and accounting professionals. CCH IntelliConnect Direct provides an easy, dynamic and customizable interface — which leverages many of the award-winning aspects of CCH Mobile™ — and allows users to streamline their research experience by choosing the precise tools they need. Together, this duo provides a dynamic and efficient research experience for customers.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America releases premier Global Transfer Pricing Research Library, which makes understanding the complex rules and compliance requirements related to international transfer pricing — along with efficient compliance planning for maximizing value and reducing risk — easier.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America launches innovative, new CCH® eSign solution. Now, electronic signatures on Form 8879 can automatically authorize electronic filing of tax returns, eliminating a cumbersome, time-consuming step for professionals and their clients during the filing process.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America offers new Federal Penalties & Interest Calculator on CCH IntelliConnect, allowing professionals to easily calculate the impact of penalties and interest for clients.
- Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America further extends its sales and use tax leadership by acquiring SureTax.
- The groundbreaking enhancement CCH® CodeConnect, is launched and available only CCH IntelliConnect. Federal tax users receive direct and easy access to valuable information out of the Internal Revenue Code by providing more context around their specific searches.
Wolters Kluwer's Tax & Accounting North America's original tax law reporting service was produced in 1913, and was the first of its kind — a single loose-leaf binder with 400 pages that contained and explained the “new” federal income tax law!
Over the years, Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting North America introduced a series of “firsts” in the market, including the first online tax research platform, the first open platform supporting the integration of workflow solutions from a range of providers and creating a new kind of ecosystem for the professional.